Blog

Sometimes I have some great ideas that turn out to be not so great. Like creating a rainbow mane for my daughter's pony cake. How hard can it be? I'll mix up the colors I want, throw them in a bag together, and away I'll go!

Fortunately, I received some guidance from my mom before I started my project. Apparently, when the colors are squeezed out the tip they get mixed together and create a very unappealing mess. So how did I get that rainbow mane? A technique called striping.

This is actually less work than what I had planned to do. Before you add the frosting to your bag, take a toothpick or paintbrush and paint a line of food coloring from the bottom of the bag up to the top. Do this all the way around the inside of the bag. Once you have the colors, add white frosting. The white frosting acts almost as a buffer between the colors so they don't get mixed together and give you that ugly goose poop color. That's it! Now you're ready to start decorating!

Write comment (0 Comments)

Probably one of the sturdiest toys I ever had growing up was my Little Tikes Kitchen. It lived inside, outside, and in a Kindergarten classroom before finally being given away (still in pretty decent condition). So I was really excited to find the same kitchen set at a garage sale for my daughter! She liked the little chairs that were just her size, and I knew the thing was nearly indestructible, so my husband loaded it up in the mini-van and we took it home.


That's when we noticed the smell.

When we got home I took a Magic Eraser to it to get off the dirt and pencil drawings. That didn't do anything for the smell. After picking up the chairs we realized that there was water trapped inside. I will spare you the details of what came out when we pulled the plug. We'll just say it was gross.

Next came a good scrub-down with Greenwald's Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner (Disclaimer: I received this product free in exchange for a review). The smell? Much better!

Write comment (0 Comments)

 

At the craft group I meet with, there is often an exchange of surplus or unwanted supplies. I was really excited a few weeks ago when someone brought in a colorful assortment of tulle they didn't need. I was wanting to make my daughter a tutu for her rainbow pony party and this was exactly what I needed to do it.

Write comment (0 Comments)
My New Garden | Higdons' Happy Home

Okay, so maybe this idea isn't the most original, but I planted a garden this weekend and my edging didn't cost me a dime! When my husband and I bought our house it had this ugly decorative wood all along the top. Someone had taken our old farm-style house and tried to give it some Victorian flare. Well . . . they missed the mark. My husband jokingly referred to it as our house's tiara.

Last summer, my husband and my father-in-law climbed on-top of the house and tore it all down. Ahh! The house looks so much better now! We put all the lumber by the garage for future use. Well, I finally found a use for it!

Write comment (0 Comments)

Cleaning out my closet is hard for me.  I'm not to the level of a hoarder, but I don't like letting things go.  So I was really sad when I discovered that one of my favorite polos had a small stain in the front.  I hate that something so small could be so noticeable!  But why waste a perfectly good shirt when I can cover the stain up?  So that's what I did!

My stained polo and the fabric that will save it.

Stains on the front of my favorite polo

Using one of my daughter's dresses as a guide, I cut the length of the shirt down to a 12-18m size.  Then I cut off the sleeves and excess fabric down the sides, allowing extra fabric for seams.  Once I sewed the sides together, I then had the basic shape for the dress.  Nothing too complicated. 

Write comment (0 Comments)

Creating the Design

I want to give credit where credit is due.  I originally got this idea from the blog "One Good Thing" by Jillee.  I was looking for something to make as a fundraising project.  My goal is to sell this quilt in the silent auction this year at the Kansas State Rally for the Christian Motorcyclist Association.  My husband and I have been members for 3 years now, and our Run for the Son fundraiser has become very important to me.  This seemed like a great way to take a little bit of money and grow it into a large donation!

I also have to give credit to my husband.  He helped me design the layout for my blanket.  The colors and layout point back to some of the symbolism of the backpatch we wear. 

Write comment (0 Comments)
Exciting New Seven Slings Patterns!